Physical Education Requirements & Process
Alternative Physical Education Credit Form
The State of Washington requires that students graduating from public high schools receive the equivalent of three (3) semesters of Physical Education, for .50 credits each.
The Center School does not have PE courses offered during the school day, as there are no facilities for such at Seattle Center.
Students earn the required 1.50 credits in the following ways, starting at the beginning of 9th grade at TCS:
- Students maintain a log of their physical activity, citing the month & year, type of activity, and # of hours.
- After 75 hours are documented, the student may turn the form into TCS staff to receive one (1) semester .50 credit (hours can be accumulated and turned in for 150 or 225 increments as well).
- Documentation forms are located outside the TCS Counseling Office or on the TCS website.
- The range of physical activity allowed is quite broad and encompasses most types of movement that are in hourly increments.
- No PE credit will be granted to a student not actively enrolled at TCS.
Who Can Sign Your Form?
If the documented physical activity is part of an organized sport or team participation, a coach or outside supervisor may sign and verify the hours completed. If the activity is done independently, a parent or guardian verifies that the hours were done.
Documentation Due Date
- Grades 9-11: May 1 of the student’s Junior year.
- Class of 2022: December 17, 2021